Catholic Social Services is an anti-poverty agency whose goal is to empower people with the tools they need to reach their full potential. We focus on improving the quality of life of people of all faiths and backgrounds during some of the most vulnerable times of their lives.
The staff is deeply connected to the mission, vision, and values of the organization. It is the lens by which we provide our services, guided by our core values of impact, compassion, courage, and excellence. The ideal candidate demonstrates these values in their action and works with donors, clients, and peers.
This position is responsible for a variety of comprehensive development functions that correspond to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual prospects and donors. Emphasis on the continuing development of donor pipeline by aligning philanthropic interests of the individuals served with the mission of Catholic Social Services (CSS).
The Development Associate is a full-time position that will create and implement fundraising strategies to build a comprehensive cultivation approach with new and recaptured donors. Additionally, the role provides comprehensive assistance to the Development Director, with a focus on stewardship efforts, fundraising support, and event support. This position reports to the Director of Development and Communications and is a part of the five-person Development and Communications team.
Paramount to this position is the ability to work with a high degree of independence, build relationships with donors, and juggle various projects at once all while maintaining a clear view of how each project supports the organization’s mission.
Solicitation and Relationship Management:
- Build and maintain a portfolio of 50-100 prospects and serve as the “moves manager” across revenue streams.
- Engage in regular communications through calls and written correspondence with prospects; actively make solicitations.
- Understand CSS key funding priorities and maintain knowledge of new opportunities in order to best target specific donor interests and tailor asks.
- Work with the Director of Development to create solicitation strategies to attract new donors.
- Discover donor companies’ corporate social responsibility and/or workplace giving objectives, identify opportunities that align with CSS mission, and work with the team to create engagement initiatives and opportunities.
- Donor Relations and Stewardship:
- Work with the Director of Development to create year-round engagement strategies to retain current donors.
- Implement and document a systematic and integrated donor relations program.
- Establish and manage information tracking processes to capture acknowledgment letters, recognition, ongoing communications to steward the donors and to enhance their relationship with CSS, and increase the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Engage in regular communications through calls and written correspondence with donors.
- Other Development:
- Maintain physical donor communication materials and inventory of general development team supplies.
- Attend internal and external meetings and community events as required.
- Answer general development phone inquiries.
- Annual Metrics Include:
- Fundraising Goal
- Actions or Touches of commitments, solicitations, and meetings
- Strong knowledge of human services, poverty, the non-profit sector, and faith-based organizations.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including superior active listening, observation, analytical, and problem recognition and solving skills.
- Results-driven, efficient, creative, solutions-oriented, who thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of all information under their supervision.
- Performs all responsibilities and projects as assigned by their immediate supervisor.
- Understands various computer systems and databases. Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising.
Please direct all inquiries and resumes to Terri Hurtt.
Terri Hurtt, PHR
Director, Human Resources
Catholic Social Services